Friday, November 30, 2012

For Carl

1966


I watch as you leave our home

fiercely independent


'no mom ... I can walk'


I worry about your shoes


are they sturdy enough


to keep you pain-free all day


are you warm enough


dry enough, cool enough


I wonder if stress


will trigger a migraine


bring your day to a halt

we navigate the city


strangers call out 'hey Carl'


you say 'oh, they're just customers' 


Safeway ~ front of the store, your stage, arena

where everybody knows your name 






9 comments:

  1. I worry... We never stop, do we?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have brought our the relation so well ... loved it !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They remain our responsibility for ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where everybody knows your name . . .
    That is a protection though there are no guarantees. Still, life and letting life are worth it, yes? Fine poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have captured the essence of mother love here: and alternate clinging and driving away from them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A mother is always a mother. I went to the Dr, thought I had an ulcer. Doc came back...and said, "you are pregnant and the heart burn will last at least 18 yrs." (No, it lasts a lifetime)

    I love how you took us there and the ending so captured the show must go on...
    well done

    ReplyDelete
  7. smiles....my dad is like that...downtown, everyone knows him....and i wonder if moms ever stop being moms....smiles....maybe not...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the pov you decided to use for this, Helen...great write. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent poem - a mother always worries!

    ReplyDelete