Thursday, July 15, 2010

On Fire



once I looked into your eyes
I knew the flame of love burned bright
I failed to kindle that flame 
as some might

given the chance
I would look deeper
  find the flame 
that is burning there
within your heart





64 comments:

  1. You are flaming fast this week! Love the romantic take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some idiot missed out! Not you, him! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...lovely bittersweet poem.
    Great magpie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...the chance

    Loved the romantic take on this magpie
    I'm a hopeless romantic myself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, love your romantic take on this Magpie. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have to look deep into that flame and let it burn...nice magpie..bkm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Taking the romantic approach, I see. Nice magpie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So easy to be burnt by love! I like your style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bitter sweet Magpie...well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As Janis Joplin sang, don't you turn your sweet back on love!

    I enjoyed your gentle poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS--Goddess bless you for using pop up comments format. I wish everyone did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you wrote about love. It's all about love, and I love it! From the deep place in your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How romantic and unexpected for me. Somehow I was driven to deep lost.

    These magpies really can take all of us on different journeys.

    Thanks Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. Fire is such a powerful metaphor for so many emotions. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. you were quick on this :-) well done !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Romance is in the air! I love your take on the prompt. Lovely Magpie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just hear this in a whisper...

    (like a child pleading to believe in Santa once more....)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perhaps an extinguisher isn't the best tool to kindle with? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a poignant poem, and you were the first this week!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  20. A wonderful take on the prompt! Great post!

    -Weasel

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh! Very nice, very simple language used to great effect.

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is beautiful! i wanted to do a romantic take but somehow the words just went in another direction :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful and sad. I like that combination!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice! I'm new to this magpie thing...thought I'd do some reading to see what's out there. I like how you used the fire metaphorically. Unrequited love, so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope you never get your fingers burned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I recall the beautiful flames of love. These days I'm more interested in anti-acid to put them out!

    A simple and lovely piece, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good job too - you might have got badly burnt...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Helen: Passionate! I love romance! Excellent way with words especially;

    "look deeper

    And find the flame that is burning there"

    Love does that!

    jj

    ReplyDelete
  29. Aw, sweet but melancholy poem - yearning is vivid in this short piece! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your poem is lovingly wrought. I don't know why the Elvis song "Hunk of Burning Love" came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great romantic you are!! I fell for this...

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's never to late to kindle a flame, but once it's out nothing can revive it. Nice Magpie.

    ReplyDelete
  33. so easy to confuse the flames we choose to fan...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Helen, I can almost feel that flame flickering here. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lovely, melancholy and rather profound. I liked the language and the flame image.

    ReplyDelete
  36. There is regret in this beautiful poem...but I sure don't regret reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Helen,
    It's a sad thing when love doesn't burn both ways.
    rel

    ReplyDelete
  39. Read this a few times and the more I readthe more I saw the more I liked.A mirroring effect of the sentiment of the poem.Good work Helen.I likes it!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Is it ever too late? I’m going to look deeper.

    ReplyDelete
  41. This was a lovely way to spin a wistful tale of what might have been.

    ReplyDelete
  42. What might have been... a sad tale

    ReplyDelete
  43. I like that twist in the second paragraph!

    ReplyDelete
  44. "as some might" - that made me think!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Lost love...a poem of regret. Strange looking at those old comments. Sad that Tumblewords has passed.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Look a little deeper, there's a wick in there some place. Most times women can find that wick, and they carry a lot of matches.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  47. A very lovely "what if" poem.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Writing about love brings up so many emotions, and memories. Love this, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Romantic and bittersweet Great write!

    ReplyDelete
  50. You manage to say so much in so few words - wonderful - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  51. Gives me shivers, your write entices. Brings forth a "Let it be me, let it be me!"

    ReplyDelete
  52. the poem cries for another chance and we all do sometimes! wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  53. Love can be a wildfire or an ember. Life reviews bring new insights.

    ReplyDelete
  54. That's nice. Love, like a flame, does need to be encouraged along, given attention or it dies out. I wonder how many times we've all failed in that, with a first little spark, and don't even know?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.