The Boys Of Summer
Edward Hopper ~ Summer Evening ~ 1947
Give me a break
Let me explain
Let me explain
I’m leaving tomorrow
On the two o’clock train.
I know, oh I know
You've heard it before
It’s not the big leagues
It's minor league ball.
I have to attempt it
I’m tellin’ the truth
They tell me I play
A bit like Babe Ruth.
Wait for me honey
Don’t let me down
Flash me that smile
Wipe off your frown.
The majors will draft me
Our dreams will come true
Have patience my darling
I do it for you.

ah i know many a boy that dreams to play ball...hope she waits...smiles.
ReplyDeleteThat is absolutely charming! Everything is perfect...including their dreams. :)
ReplyDeleteHelen you've bowled me over with this one (don't know my sports tactics, so not sure if this is a pun or not!). It was fabulously plead, however. I'm sure she didn't really mind..!
ReplyDeleteHope he can hit the curve ball!
ReplyDeleteLove the flow and rhythm in this piece. If she does hold out, she'd better love baseball and travelling.
ReplyDeleteI liked the font you have used, it suits perfectly to your piece...
ReplyDeletewell I hope he comes back for good,but then baseball is always the first love!
Love this one. Nice take...
ReplyDeleteJJRod'z
Helen- this is absolutely charming- and a mix of two wonderful memories from my youth-
ReplyDeleteYeah, baseball, summer, young love. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYou have definitely caught the eagerness, hope and promise of most young men's dreams. I love the rhythm of the entire poem.
ReplyDeleteI reckon you read the body language so well that, if you had been born before 1947, the girl must have been you! XX
ReplyDeleteAh! You captured the moment a lot better than I did. Well done. :)
ReplyDeleteNicely captured. I looked back at the image and there they were.Him dreaming, her less sure.
ReplyDeleteYoung love and baseball--the essence of summer. Love the rhythm, too. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteQuintessentially American. Nice.
ReplyDeleteHelen, this should be set to music. Really. It has that song-like immediate engagement in the story. What a video it would make, too.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for dropping by my blog. It's a little cooler here in the mountains today!
You are so talented! I loved this..a few others seem to like the baseball theme...I went a totally different direction... I agree with Kathryn. This could be a song!
ReplyDelete