A very lyrical poem with good rhythm. Dance me...see what lies beyond this pale. I don't know if we ever will see that but it is good to think we will. Thank you for writing to my prompt.
Very post worthy. Helen. Especially in the shade of your quote. I like the rational for ashes, I have plenty. I agree with Cohen, too much sadness and lament in a lot of poetry, quite a bit here with the Toads "Ashes, ashes … we fall down. Dance me to the gallows Hoist me up ..." sounds like a few parties I've been in younger years. Guess it would have been good for Cohen's poetry? "Ring around the Rosey's" kids were hurting a bunch weren't they? ..
I love the intermingling of the children's nursery rhyme, I remember holding hands and twirling in a circle to all fall down at the end. And how that is balanced against the ending of seeing "what lies beyond this pale". It is a dance of love and a dance with death.
"Gallows' startled me, but then I linked it with the "ashes" and yes, let's not be blind to any of the dimensions as we dance along, always with the possibility of being hoisted to "the shoulders broad" where we eat with God.
Dearest Helen, Life is like a dance between the Paradise birds, it is a life's cycle and life will get renewed and passed on until we all become ashes. Like the German literature so aptly says: 'From the sky high shouting to death grieved... It goes so up and down but important is to LIVE the UPS before you start the DOWN! Hugs, Mariette
I think this is one of my all time favorites of your poetry Helen! I again say splendid indeed! I am easy peasy my friend. Sharing something that fits the bill from before is totally okay with me Helen, and this one was so worth sharing again!!
Dark places are meant for enjoyable moments, for boogey men to howl, or a place to put the ashes when we burn. I like it still and needed to read it again. Thanks! ..
A very lyrical poem with good rhythm. Dance me...see what lies beyond this pale. I don't know if we ever will see that but it is good to think we will. Thank you for writing to my prompt.
ReplyDeleteThanks Toni, this is one I wrote quickly with no edits ~~ I wasn't certain it was post worthy.
DeleteDance me to the splendor and the gallows....how cool!
ReplyDeleteVery post worthy. Helen. Especially in the shade of your quote. I like the rational for ashes, I have plenty. I agree with Cohen, too much sadness and lament in a lot of poetry, quite a bit here with the Toads
ReplyDelete"Ashes, ashes … we fall down.
Dance me to the gallows
Hoist me up ..." sounds like a few parties I've been in younger years. Guess it would have been good for Cohen's poetry? "Ring around the Rosey's" kids were hurting a bunch weren't they?
..
What a celebration of life and positive energy and I love the quote... So much richness!
ReplyDeleteI am not sure where you intended to go but am pretty sure the idea was to press the up button in the lift holding your report card in your hand!
ReplyDeleteA wondrous poem, Helen, and of course, Cohen is a favourite.
ReplyDeleteYour poem is splendid Helen! I love it!
ReplyDeleteLeonard Cohen would love this, Helen! "dance me to the splendor, dance me to the gallows"
ReplyDeleteLove this poem!
I love this sensual, lyrical 'dance'.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteDance me to the splendor then the gallows.........now there is a story! Good one, Helen.
ReplyDeleteDance me to the splendor
ReplyDeleteRound and round till we are spent Wonderful poem
I love the intermingling of the children's nursery rhyme, I remember holding hands and twirling in a circle to all fall down at the end. And how that is balanced against the ending of seeing "what lies beyond this pale". It is a dance of love and a dance with death.
ReplyDeleteWhether we are dancing, loving or travelling let us never regret not having done something we hoped to do in life.
ReplyDeleteThis is a poetry gem. The way the poet craves all that the dance can give to suffice before life is spent. Nice
ReplyDeleteMuch❤love
This poem dances on from the first word to the last lovely..
ReplyDelete"Gallows' startled me, but then I linked it with the "ashes" and yes, let's not be blind to any of the dimensions as we dance along, always with the possibility of being hoisted to "the shoulders broad" where we eat with God.
ReplyDeleteThat's the essence, totally!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the Leaonard Cohen quote, Helen, and I like the way you echoed him in your poem. I love the way it evokes dizziness and abandon.
ReplyDeleteAlways happy to see a Leonard Cohen quote. What lies beyond d the pale is a question we all think about. Love this, Helen.
ReplyDeleteA beautiful and lyrical dance!
ReplyDeleteDearest Helen,
ReplyDeleteLife is like a dance between the Paradise birds, it is a life's cycle and life will get renewed and passed on until we all become ashes. Like the German literature so aptly says: 'From the sky high shouting to death grieved... It goes so up and down but important is to LIVE the UPS before you start the DOWN!
Hugs,
Mariette
I think this is one of my all time favorites of your poetry Helen! I again say splendid indeed! I am easy peasy my friend. Sharing something that fits the bill from before is totally okay with me Helen, and this one was so worth sharing again!!
ReplyDeleteThere was no one else like him.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous, Helen. I love it.
ReplyDeleteDark places are meant for enjoyable moments, for boogey men to howl, or a place to put the ashes when we burn. I like it still and needed to read it again. Thanks!
ReplyDelete..
Wow, Helen! You are totally right to re-post this ~ it's wonderful! You sucked me in with the very first line of yours!
ReplyDeleteMuch love,
David
SkepticsKaddish.com
Lovely poem. I remember ashes ashes all fall down on account of my granddaughter now ten
ReplyDeleteMuchđź’–love