Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Scribbles


Grownups in my life never pulled punches  

me, being me, took the 

opposite position


Followed friends everywhere !

nary a one of them 

jumped off a bridge


Made distorted faces ?

never did my face 

do the ugly freeze  


Cried if I spilled a glass of milk ?

confess that one 

befuddled me


Spoke with with my mouth full ?

thus perfecting 

my enunciation


Placed all my eggs in one basket ?

I did, obviously 

for the Easter Bunny 


Silence was never golden !

it was a dark, creepy

very scary place


Ignorance was never bliss !

algebra teacher, Mr. Hedgecock 

flunked me, twice


Discovered money does grow on trees !

when I saw $20 dollar bills covering

 a cardboard Anniversary Tree







9 comments:

  1. Oh, I heard all those too! It never occurred to me to tell them to my own kids though. Except talking with food in their mouths. Since their father worked in the emergency health field, he was concerned with choking. Cute about the money tree!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outstanding reflection on / rejection of all those oldies, Helen. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actions speak louder than words and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. You've covered all bases, so it must be time to call it a day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Helen,
    Yep, those are the hoops that life makes us all jump through!
    Like it or not...!
    But indeed, the hardest one is burning certain bridges and MOVE ON!
    There always will come new ones to cross.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my grandparents saying all of that and more! I did believe the one about pulling faces, but I made up for it as an adult!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My folks had plenty of their own sayings too. I can admit they were right about some things, but pretty off on others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. burning all the bridges
    is the solution
    they've all gone
    never to return

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the way you handles these colloquialisms Helen. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.