Helen!! I never thought of doing that until just now!! Does making the blackout poem job count? I'm wishing you well with your medical folk. And I pray. So now it's your turn, I haven't driven since early April but I soon will, my boot is off and no more pain meds for the seven last, now missing teeth's root holes. Still using a cane and just today I tried using my appliance for a couple of meals. The appliance is the pits. With the dentist, do what I told my oral surgeon, I only had local anesthetics, I'd do if he hurt me. He said lift my hand, I told him that I would bite him. (After those last seven teeth were pulled, I can't bite anyone.)
I like your attitude, Ron! I find little bits and piece of inspiration here and there, shuffle them this way and that, and make them my own. Or your own. Or everybody's own. :)
I once wrote a lovely poem about a deserted chapel. At some later time, I came across a poem written in the 1700s which was so similar to mine I couldn't believe it. Are any of our words ever totally original?! Yours, my friend, are always full of wit and wisdom, for sure!
Dearest Helen, Your poetry, your words, your writings about feelings and experiences is part of your soul that will once be left behind... Others can only learn from it and hold on to part of you! Hugs, Mariette
Hey the Beatles sang a musical version of Thomas Dekker's 'Golden Slumbers' and Joan Baez did the same thing with Lord Byron's 'So We'll Go No More A~ Roving'. That may happen to yours too eventually~
I had the same thought as Jim, erasure or found poetry! Or, in reading your words, they mean something so special we make them our own. That would be a compliment! I guess actually, there is an "expiration date," due to copyright laws. I hate that things become public domain after so many years, even if the heirs don't want it to happen!
I've often wondered along similar lines, but I do remind myself that everything makes ripples in the world when it comes into being, and everything is changed as it touches the larger world.
I never feel a need to rearrange your words! But will happily take possession of the wit, wisdom, beauty and emotion they impart.
ReplyDeleteHelen!! I never thought of doing that until just now!! Does making the blackout poem job count?
ReplyDeleteI'm wishing you well with your medical folk. And I pray.
So now it's your turn, I haven't driven since early April but I soon will, my boot is off and no more pain meds for the seven last, now missing teeth's root holes. Still using a cane and just today I tried using my appliance for a couple of meals. The appliance is the pits.
With the dentist, do what I told my oral surgeon, I only had local anesthetics, I'd do if he hurt me. He said lift my hand, I told him that I would bite him. (After those last seven teeth were pulled, I can't bite anyone.)
That’s the thing with poems, Helen: once they are out there, they are no longer ours alone.
ReplyDeleteAll the words belong to everyone. it's just how we keep re-shuffling them that matters. Plagiarism, Schmagiarism I say!
ReplyDeleteI like your attitude, Ron! I find little bits and piece of inspiration here and there, shuffle them this way and that, and make them my own. Or your own. Or everybody's own. :)
DeleteTeacher, teacher, do you let your students do all that. I gove them a three paper penalty if I caught mine.
Delete..
I once wrote a lovely poem about a deserted chapel. At some later time, I came across a poem written in the 1700s which was so similar to mine I couldn't believe it. Are any of our words ever totally original?! Yours, my friend, are always full of wit and wisdom, for sure!
ReplyDeleteDearest Helen,
ReplyDeleteYour poetry, your words, your writings about feelings and experiences is part of your soul that will once be left behind... Others can only learn from it and hold on to part of you!
Hugs,
Mariette
Never an expiration date, but a date of growth and sharing... a day when what once was only yours becomes ours in a sense.
ReplyDeleteHey the Beatles sang a musical version of Thomas Dekker's 'Golden Slumbers' and Joan Baez did the same thing with Lord Byron's 'So We'll Go No More A~ Roving'. That may happen to yours too eventually~
ReplyDeletethieves and scoundrels after you? so long as you are before them, I suppose that'll have to do ~
ReplyDeleteInteresting take on writing and words shared
ReplyDeleteHappy Wednesday
Much💚love
It would never suprise me to find that our work is copied by others.
ReplyDeleteNo...but the internet is a strange place.
ReplyDeleteI had the same thought as Jim, erasure or found poetry! Or, in reading your words, they mean something so special we make them our own. That would be a compliment! I guess actually, there is an "expiration date," due to copyright laws. I hate that things become public domain after so many years, even if the heirs don't want it to happen!
ReplyDeleteWe make your words our own, by reading, and enjoying them.
ReplyDeleteI've often wondered along similar lines, but I do remind myself that everything makes ripples in the world when it comes into being, and everything is changed as it touches the larger world.
ReplyDeleteThought-provoking! Love this poetic take on the questions of copyright and fair use.
ReplyDelete