I was a little too young to be a flower child but I truly love this era of our history. So much was accomplished then. Glad you chose the 60's to write about, Helen.
Dearest Helen, Never belonged to the flower power era as it was not the rage where I was a teen. At least it was a very peaceful way of making ones feelings known! Why can't we get that back?! Hugs, Mariette
If ever there were a time for peaceful protest it was now! Where are all the hippies? Where are the people who care about our future? Come back, please, we need you!
It was peaceful protest and the war was lost. I like how you end the poem on what some might see as a paradox, but when you stop fighting because fighting is wrong, losing the war is the right outcome.
Helen, You made the trimeric form sing your song, and a powerful song it is. A war we should never have got into stopped by non-violent means; meanwhile raging in our own country now, a war in the name of protest. You said so much in such few words, and you made it look so simple. pax, dora
Yes, our dissent was much gentler than what is happening these days. One wishes our message had been received back then. Sigh. Those were amazing times we lived through, my friend.
Hi Helen. I agree that some of the more recent protests are quite different in nature. I liked this line, "peace signs vs. middle fingers."
ReplyDeleteIt was a different time and generation - it was flowers and a demonstrated rooted in love. How different it is now. Good one Helen. Have a good night.
ReplyDeleteI was a little too young to be a flower child but I truly love this era of our history. So much was accomplished then. Glad you chose the 60's to write about, Helen.
ReplyDeleteand the times they are a changin' and I fear for the worse.
ReplyDelete"a non-violent version of dissent."
ReplyDeleteDearest Helen,
ReplyDeleteNever belonged to the flower power era as it was not the rage where I was a teen.
At least it was a very peaceful way of making ones feelings known!
Why can't we get that back?!
Hugs,
Mariette
i am two young to rember these times but i do agree they had thr right idea for hoe to gret their feelings heard without the need for violemce.
ReplyDeleteIf ever there were a time for peaceful protest it was now! Where are all the hippies? Where are the people who care about our future? Come back, please, we need you!
ReplyDeleteA deep thought beautifully penned!
ReplyDeleteoh wow. this carry such memories, vivid and still alive.
ReplyDeleteRight on Sister. We're still here, singing those same tunes, eh? Imagine.
ReplyDeletePoignant trimeric - protest 'a non-violent version of dissent'.
ReplyDelete"We were flowers in our hair" - wonderful write, Helen! You captured the essence of the 60s and that beautiful form of non-violent protest so well <3
ReplyDeleteIt was quite a time. We are jaded, and yet still many work quietly towards the good without the need for angry theatrics. I have not given up yet.
ReplyDeleteIt was peaceful protest and the war was lost. I like how you end the poem on what some might see as a paradox, but when you stop fighting because fighting is wrong, losing the war is the right outcome.
ReplyDeleteThis is incredibly potent! I especially resonate with; "a time when protest meant flowers placed in gun barrels demonstration rooted in love." 💝💝
ReplyDeleteRemembering that time well, I appreciate the differences in how things were handled then, and all the violence now. Great, thoughtful poem, Helen.
ReplyDeleteHelen,
ReplyDeleteYou made the trimeric form sing your song, and a powerful song it is. A war we should never have got into stopped by non-violent means; meanwhile raging in our own country now, a war in the name of protest. You said so much in such few words, and you made it look so simple.
pax,
dora
Yes, our dissent was much gentler than what is happening these days. One wishes our message had been received back then. Sigh. Those were amazing times we lived through, my friend.
ReplyDeleteSo much of the goodness of that protest faded... and maybe the next generation will feel the same about what we have today.
ReplyDeleteI wonder - doesn't everyone lose in war? Some, more than others... ~
ReplyDelete