Monday, May 9, 2022

Redux

 Use a poem or prose we wrote many years ago (preferably one that wasn't one of our best) and rewrite it!


The year was 1955

Daddy shuttled me to flute lessons

overnights with girlfriends .. requisite teenage parties

in our 1932 Dodge

"the Dodge" polished to a sheen, in pristine condition

[ though that fact was lost on me ]

a 'full-of-myself' eighth grader

ready for High School - The Big Time "

little did I know

my embarrassment was misplaced

no need to crouch on the floorboards

should I see anyone I knew

in reality I was the envy of my chums

their dads never drove them .. anywhere

they loved that car .. and my Dad

sixty seven years later .. my friends still talk about  

Daddy and the Dodge






11 comments:

  1. Oh how true and how wonderful. Beautifully written leading me along in the story, relating to each feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww---that is so sweet, Helen. A lovely story, well written. Much enjoyed. K. (Manicddaily)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a lovely lovely story!
    The rewrite provide us with a wee bit more details, and the original is already a good poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both versions, Helen. I relate to your poem quite well. My dad had a funky green Chevrolet truck that I loved riding in but not seen in with my dad driving. Just being a silly 7th grader, I was.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Helen, that above anonymous comment ( Chevy truck) was made by me. I’ll get a hang of Blogger comments yet! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Dad sounds like a real sweetie. Loved the rewrite

    ReplyDelete
  7. "a 'full-of-myself' eighth grader" doesn't that just say it all? What a wonderful dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this is so much richer now! The teenage mortification and your father's sweet nature really come through beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Embarrassment to envy, I love the change in perspective, how we first saw it and how we look back on it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.