Wednesday, October 18, 2023

Post Mortem

 

“Normality is a paved road: It’s comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.”

–Vincent Van Gogh

Vincent van Gogh, Head of a Skeleton with a Burning Cigarette (1886), © Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam


Bone structure doesn't lie. He was handsome, a bon vivant

'man about town' who knew things about life ~ about

 women, whiskey, tobacco. That strong jawline, cig

 dangling from his lips suggest more than a few times

 'round the old block. I am intrigued. Dare I say

 libidinous? Fantasies of James Dean, Marlon Brando,

 Leonard Cohen begin to surface. The  antidote to fantasy

must be reality ~ I  walk away.


Melissa is our host today in the dVerse Poets Pub  ~ we are to focus our poetry on the often haunted souls of artists and poets.






12 comments:

  1. Good job Helen! This is one of my favorite Van Goghs but could never say why. Now you've said it for me. Perfect depiction of a "man about town".

    ReplyDelete
  2. You paint a wonderful portrait of a man whom many probably walked away from, through your eyes, the eyes of an onlooker, perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Helen,
    Vincent Van Gogh had the gift of capturing LIFE in its many aspects.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saying "No" to the bad boy?! Perfect ekphrastic, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely splendid, my dear Helen! You make me see him through your poetic eyes. I especially love; "That strong jawline, cig dangling from his lips suggest more than a few times 'round the block." Yes! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed... fantasy often masks the reality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mothers, don't let your daughters grow up to date this ghost. Van Gogh loved absinthe in whorehouses between canvases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strong jawline revealed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The reality comes back, full force Helen. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely someone you should stay away from lol. Reality's always dangerous. Great poem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your take on this, Helen. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that is powerful, Helen. Getting lost in fantasy is an illness, and walking away is an antidote but how does one connect back with the real.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.