Thursday, February 1, 2024

Balancing Act


Grace is hosting Open Link Night in the Pub ~ Anything Goes


 Woman With Flowered Hat ~ Jean Dupas

Dahlia is her name

she seems cheerful, sweet

floats here to there

everyone is attracted

like bees to a flower

perhaps you know her



Dahlia buries secrets

conceals dark truths

uses flowers to hide sins

beneath an innocent facade

petals the perfect camouflage

you never knew her






18 comments:

  1. I enjoy the duality you describe in the poem, it makes the reader wonder about her secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scheming lady with secrets-
    "Beauty with a Purpose!"

    Well shared about Dahlia. Appearances are deceptive. All must beware

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I DID know her, and still bear a grudge, LOL. Intriguing poem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Dahlia uses flowers to hide sins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Helen,
    A perfect definition for Dahlia...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very perceptive poem, Helen. Things are often hidden under the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fascinating take, Helen! That she wears this tower of flowers to distract from some dark secret she's hiding. You're so clever. What made me laugh was that I did once know a Dahlia and she was a bit of a nightmare when you got to know her! :-D :-D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully written. I suspect there is a bit of Dahlia in everyone. Petals are not the only masks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dahlia is one of your neighbors. When you see her face plastered across the news, you are shocked when you learn what she's been accused of. I also like what Penelope says here, that perhaps we all carry a bit of Dahlia within us. Lovely poem for OLN, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I don't know her after all. Love the paradox and contrast between the first and second part. Love your take on the woman with flowered hat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, the mysterious Dahlia. There are many Dahlia's about I would think!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I really like how you portrayed her--the woman we think we know from the surface, but not really knowing what's inside at all. Beautifully done. I think if we don't know a Dahlia, we all probably know of one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My partner was bitten by a Dahlia - one of her charges when she worked in an adolescent unit - could this be her...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the air of mystery here Helen..."petals the perfect camouflage" ! JIM

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a super intriguing piece, Helen! Excellent!

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Indeed... such masses of flower can hide a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this poem.
    These lines are awesome:
    "Dahlia buries secrets, conceals dark truths, uses flowers to hide sins".

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am sure there are many Dahlias around! You bring out her duality so well, Helen.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.