Friday, September 6, 2024

Once Upon a Scream


 Memory Care Walk, 2004

in eighty-three years
she screamed at me just once:
it had become quite clear
she should no longer drive

i tried taking away her car keys
with tears on her cheeks, face flushed
"I'm the Mother ~ You're the Daughter!!"

my simple solution
move her from Missouri to Florida

and so it came to pass
caring for her my privilege
until she was no more
we were no more



 

13 comments:

  1. Nice you could look after your mom. Who can't relate to the title? And god help anyone trying to take my keys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Helen,
    Oh my, that must have been really hard on your Mother and you did what you had to do—with lots of LOVE!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand. My dad has Alzheimer's and there are many times he gets so angry because he is so confused.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to read of so much love between you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Difficult moment for both... when such things have to be done... :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both sad and loving - and such a joyful photo - thank you for your kind comment at mine as well - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminded me of the last time I rode with my father behind the wheel. Scary! Thankfully he asked me to drive home. I love the picture btw.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear...I'm going through this now...Not easy !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elderly parents...they are a real concern. Nicely handled.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! Heartwarming as well as heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This difficult situation so carefully and lovingly crafted - Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When my father had to give up driving, he cried bitterly. He could no longer ride a bike, play handball, or swim. It was his last piece of independence.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.