Tuesday, October 14, 2025

Misplaced

Merril is hosting Poetics in the dVerse Poets Pub ~ our poems are all about "Holding Onto Your Head" 


Montecatini Terme, Italy ~ 2016 November



I misplaced it one stormy night

my head, i mean

set it down to think

and when i turned back

it had rolled off into legend


since then, i've done quite well, thank you 

no migraines, no bad hair days

no biting my tongue

now my thoughts float freer

without all that bother


people scream when they see me

but truly i am the calm one

they're the ones losing their heads

funny how quiet the world becomes

when you stop overthinking it





16 comments:

  1. The end of this poem is so true! "Funny how quiet the world becomes when you stop overthinking it". Definitely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes losing your head can be very fruitful and positive indeed! Jae

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it... the use of all those idioms make it even better. At peace without a thought... alas I think it will be even worse in the long run

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your headless poem, Helen, the thought of the head rolling off into legend, ‘no migraines, no bad hair days’, and thoughts that float freer. You made me smile this morning! And yes, the world does become quiet when you stop overthinking it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "They're the ones losing their heads" hehe nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love it all 💞 - so clever and funny - this poem 'rolled off into legend' as well as your head 🙌🙌🙌

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this one, Helen! Thank you so much--it made me laugh, and it's so clever! 💙😂 I"m going to read it to my husband now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I CAN stop overthinking! *screams in fright*

    Very amusing and just the thing I needed this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exquisitely drawn, Helen! I love the idea of "no migraines, no bad hair days
    no biting my tongue." ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha - Helen this is so creative - I had to laugh at no migraines...good to have them be gone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! This is wonderful. It really speaks to the benefits of setting one's head aside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funny! I enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha! How funny and clever. Lop off their heads! I like the plants....I like deadheading.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.