Monday, July 20, 2026

And Away They Go!

 It's Prosery Monday in the Pub ~ Merril is hosting and asks we use a line from Arthur Sze's poem Jaguar Song in a prose piece no longer than 144 words..

"I am the creature who smells your darkest thoughts”




A white Jaguar and a black Jaguar roared into Helen's driveway like two overconfident bachelors crashing a posh cocktail party. They began to preen shamelessly. White Knight purred “Darling Helen, observe my flawless six-pack.” Black Beauty revved “please, I am the creature who smells your darkest thoughts.” Helen looking elegant as ever, raised an eyebrow obviously interested. Six-pack Whitey flashed its headlights winking seductively at her. Blackie leaned in close vying for her undivided attention, both engines humming with hope.“You know boys I'm only making a supermarket run this evening.”

Both Jags deflated, indignantly they sputtered “Helen, you must know supermarkets are SO beneath our status in the automotive realm!” “Wait ~ White Knight offered “I've always believed groceries are the cornerstone of a balanced motoring lifestyle ~ does the supermarket have speedbumps?” Dark thoughts & Black Knight  never had a chance.






8 comments:

  1. Helen, my kind of fairy tale! I'd love to have two Jags sitting in my driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very unique story, Helen! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really hear and smile at Helen's conversations! Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great opening sentence, Helen! Such a fun piece!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice ride for a supermarket... and a Jaguar still have a roomy booth (it's English after all)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh. As a lover of cars (I used to work as a car painter before allergies, even had EU permit for it) I love this... Two Jaguars... Fighting over a ride to the supermarket... And the line about it being under their status made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made me laugh out loud, Helen - you turned the horror in such a different direction from most...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is hilarious Helen, a delightful read.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.