Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Wildfire

 Merril is hosting Poetics in the dVerse Poets Pub today ~ Butterflies are on her mind ~ and on ours as well. Words in color are butterfly names. 


the sky has forgotten how to be blue

it hangs above Oregon like a grief

too heavy to name

its lungs full of ash

its heart beating in a frantic rhythm

forests collapsing into themselves

a cathedral of green

becoming a language of cinders

birdsong folded into silence

we search for something alive

LOOK ! butterflies

the clouded yellow finding nectar 

in flowers that insist on returning

the orange sulphur lifting from fresh

clover like a small declaration

the mourning cloak no longer mourning

but bearing witness

we cannot unburn the forests

but we can plant, rebuild porches

trails, homes and trust 

we can plant one sapling beside another

one kindness next to another

until the land remembers itself

and perhaps the butterflies

[ who have always known 

how impossible transformations begin ]

will find us there




12 comments:

  1. Butterflies in rebuilding , luv the metaphor of hope

    .uch love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poignant--we can't unburn the forests, but the final lines say it. Let's hope we bear witness and rebuild, doing it better this time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. eric here. wow! saplings and kindness, and yes the butterflies know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A poignant poem, Helen, adorned with butterfly names. The opening lines depict a sad image, with the sky hanging ‘above Oregon like a grief too heavy to name / its lungs full of ash’ and the ‘cathedral of green’ becoming ‘a language of cinders’ – and then butterflies bring hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely metaphor for rebirth and new life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely. It brought back memories of the Almeda fire in 2020. The sky does hang over like grief too often these days. Hoping my valley is skipped the worst of it this summer. No help that FEMA said "no" to help with current fires.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the reminder of the possible transformation...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh I am also in Oregon and though we arent getting it as bad as Washington, I hear ya...wonderful poem depicting the resilience of butterflies and transformation, well done Helen! 💛

    ReplyDelete
  9. A deeply moving and resilient piece of poetry Helen, I love how you move from the suffocating grief of environmental loss into grounded, tangible hope❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like where you took this prompt. A compelling poem. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Butterflies how perfect with Ona’s Birthday tomorrow. You will see butterflies everywhere tomorrow! Love this poem! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really feel this poem, Helen, as the wildfires are so distressing - apocalyptic. I like the lines about planting saplings and kindness until the land remembers itself. If only more people could remember the land and its need of our care. I cant bear the thought of the wild creatures running through raging infernos.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.