Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Time for Prosery


Linda offers this line from Mary Oliver's poem 'Spring Azures' "Sometimes the great bones of my life feel so heavy" ~ ~ as inspiration for our prosery pieces. 


Helen Dehner, Photography


A poet once told me "you must write about what you know, that a good poem is a closed belief system" ~ which sent my thoughts wandering ~ an introspective journey. 

(1) Might poetry flow from my dreams? (2) Will my fantasies become poetic realities? (3) Do poems influenced by gossip count? (4) Must I have 'lived' my poem? (5) Am I influenced in ways I can only guess .. way below a conscious level? 

And those idle wanderings produced a swift and visceral reaction. (1) Sometimes the great bones of my life feel so heavy. (2) I love exploring unknown territory. (3) I don't worry about getting it right, just getting it written!





13 comments:

  1. Dearest Helen,
    ABSOLUTELY true your point 2 and 3! Get it written I also DID in two words: NO WAY!!! And that is exactly what I firmly said.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this, Helen! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree that it's a closed belief system...but I like what you've done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen, this feels profoundly wise to me.

    Thank you,
    David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes... it's getting it written that counts... and I know that some things I write about is better not something I have lived-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more....it's getting it written that counts

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this "idle ramble" that puts into words what so often we think, inclding your inspiring conclusion #3 . . . something I can never hear enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the stream of consciousness in this, where wisdom is found between the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done Helen. You are right get it written and edit later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES YES YES

    (2) I love exploring unknown territory. (3) Don't worry about getting it right, get it written.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.