I feel that a bridge can be seen in different views... made me think of the homeless sleeping in the darkness below the bridge, and no connection between the bright bridge and below.
Very cool looking bridge. I've seen places where the bridges just keep going on over vast stretches of water, where it can feel like being stranded, away from any grounding. Neat how you broke up the lines in the first stanza by font color.
There really is a marked contrast between the first and last stanzas as others have said. For some reason I am attracted to the 'deep dark churning water.'
Simply beautiful. Excellent connection of all bridge purposes, I never thought of it that way before. Dark churning waters is quite compelling. I feel myself falling in.
I sure wouldn't want to fall through either, some of those look "out of service." Your write reminds me of the bridges of New Hampshire and Vermont. They were fun riding through in my Vespa Motorscooter. ..
What interesting old bridges in your photo collage. Old bridges could tell stories if they could talk. I imagine those who walked on them, stopped to ponder the water below........
Reading your poem is like going for a walk through the countryside with you. I can envision all the little bridges along the way and love the warmth and safety that first stanza evokes. And your bridge functions almost like a Mama reassuring her little kids all will be well.
I live in the Netherlands and our little town has such beautiful bridges over the canals. There's even one at the end of our street, where our kids went ice skating a few weeks ago.
From a safety net to the deep dark churning waters. You've nailed the prompt. And I love the photos. Many years ago when we first moved to Boston, we rented a car and took a ride that was listed as having wonderful oldtime covered bridges....your photos remind me of that trip.
This is excellent. Short, to the point, but so evocative--and I love the total change in tone from the first stanza to the last.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful stark contrast between the two stanzas!
ReplyDeleteI feel that a bridge can be seen in different views... made me think of the homeless sleeping in the darkness below the bridge, and no connection between the bright bridge and below.
ReplyDeleteVery cool looking bridge. I've seen places where the bridges just keep going on over vast stretches of water, where it can feel like being stranded, away from any grounding. Neat how you broke up the lines in the first stanza by font color.
ReplyDeleteThis is gorgeously rendered, Helen! I love the contrast between the two stanzas 💝
ReplyDeleteDearest Helen,
ReplyDeleteVery well done about the purpose of any bridge!
They do elevate us away from the churning waters.
Hugs,
Mariette
I admire the contrast of emotions as well between the first and second one. Helen, simply beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI like the dichotomy in the stanzas. We all want safety but then sometimes we need to splash around in the water as well! 👏👏
ReplyDeleteThis was lovely Helen. ☺️ Bridges, whether real or metaphorical, can be scary. I love that you used a covered bridge to give a sense of safety.
ReplyDeleteVery nicely done Helen!
ReplyDeleteThere really is a marked contrast between the first and last stanzas as others have said. For some reason I am attracted to the 'deep dark churning water.'
ReplyDeleteSimply beautiful. Excellent connection of all bridge purposes, I never thought of it that way before. Dark churning waters is quite compelling. I feel myself falling in.
ReplyDeleteI sure wouldn't want to fall through either, some of those look "out of service."
ReplyDeleteYour write reminds me of the bridges of New Hampshire and Vermont. They were fun riding through in my Vespa Motorscooter.
..
Thank you for keeping up with me.
Delete..
What interesting old bridges in your photo collage. Old bridges could tell stories if they could talk. I imagine those who walked on them, stopped to ponder the water below........
ReplyDeleteSaying so much with so few words - its lovely. (Your pictures remind me of the book The Bridges of Madison County).
ReplyDeleteReading your poem is like going for a walk through the countryside with you. I can envision all the little bridges along the way and love the warmth and safety that first stanza evokes. And your bridge functions almost like a Mama reassuring her little kids all will be well.
ReplyDeleteI live in the Netherlands and our little town has such beautiful bridges over the canals. There's even one at the end of our street, where our kids went ice skating a few weeks ago.
I love the contrast between the two stanzas Helen and the loving protection the bridges offer you from the dangerous waters below.
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of the bridges intersecting to form a net. Beautiful image.
ReplyDeleteFrom a safety net to the deep dark churning waters. You've nailed the prompt. And I love the photos. Many years ago when we first moved to Boston, we rented a car and took a ride that was listed as having wonderful oldtime covered bridges....your photos remind me of that trip.
ReplyDeleteBrilliant!
ReplyDelete