Thursday, September 1, 2022

Shadow Memory

Lori Crawford Arnold Photography

young .. lovely .. lonely

carny life the only one she knows

overnight train to boondocks

leering, jeering men

facing the mirror, positions her breasts

wets her lips, tweaks her cheeks 

the show must go on

until she is old wrinkled, spent



dVerse Poets Pub



21 comments:

  1. This reminds of the lyric in the Journey song 'Faithfully" about circus life. Maybe she'll run away and join the normals? if one performs for too long, it's easy to forget one's true self. Thanks for being part of WG Word List!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The curse (and maybe the blessing) of growing old... at least there will be no leering men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd be surprised. I'm nearly 60 years old and no raving beauty by any stretch of the imagination. It doesn't happen as often as it did when I was younger, but as my grandmother once said to a man she invited to dinner and he proceeded to get fresh with her, "Judas Priest, don't you fool men ever think of anything else?"
      Nothing is true across the board, but for the most part, old women just want to be left alone and old men just won't get a clue.

      Delete
  3. I love how this poem circles back to the start - the cycle of life as carnival and such pathos in her adjustment before the mirror

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a stunning poem Helen. And I love the song as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Word list poems, and word lists within poems are great fun. This works as an allegory for most women. Many of them are experts at seduction and manipulation. Being attractive has its plus side too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poignant character study, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a sad picture: young and lovely; old and wrinkled - the same life, the only life in both cases.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like a convex mirror. Hopefully there was some pleasure outside of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sad poem. Performers, hypocrites by choice until too old. Then do they remember who they really are?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad she can't break out of the circus life! Raw and real, great write!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Luv this poem and the music you chose

    Happy you dropped by my blog

    Much💛love

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, carnival life gets tougher, the older one gets. For us all. Smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A gig's a gig, a poem a poem and tomorrow the next performance somewhere strutting the myth. Ain't it the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is tough indeed, and you have captured it perfectly my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dearest Helen,
    For some it is a sad life and in the end there is no escape, no joy for reflecting back on life...
    Never heard the song, and Hans van der Linden, who posted it, must be of Dutch descent.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so poignant, Helen! You paint a vivid picture as you put yourself in that woman's shoes and with such few words too. I like how the shape of the poem echoes a shapely vase. And what a lovely bittersweet song to accompany it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aren't we all in our own carnival life?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really enjoyed this. Sometimes I feel like I'm on a hamster wheel. Maybe it's actually a carousel.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Seems rather a universal life for us women until we get the courage to run away from it--and the carnival is a perfect metaphor, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I realised I already commented on this poem, Helen! But it was a pleasure to read it again! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.