Thursday, March 28, 2024

A Day In Memory Care

For Open Link night In the dVerse Poets Pub! On Tuesday Kim asked us to write about a building that holds a special place in our memories, in our lives ~  I chose Aspen Ridge Memory Care in Bend Oregon where my mother lived for two years, I spent time with her nearly every day, until the day she passed away in my arms ~ in this building.



prediction: a bittersweet
[at best] day on tap
damn!! morning coffee so hot
it burnt my mouth

yes! mother is out of bed
away from her room
waiting with others for
morning chair exercise class

music from the 40s has
residents doing a quasi tap routine
standing not allowed
lest a precious soul lose balance

reality: 'tis a beautiful thing 
when i am wrong - the day is good 
my footsteps morph from clomp to skip
a goofy smile criss-crosses my face

guaranteed: tomorrow's java jolt 
a beany perfection - temp just right
headed over to Aspen Ridge
because Mother is there 


17 comments:

  1. This is deeply poignant writing, Helen! 🩷🩷

    ReplyDelete
  2. A poignant poem, Helen, and the building seems to house special memories. I like the stanza describing the residents’ ‘quasi tap routine’ – thank goodness for chair exercise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Helen,
    That was your memorable morning coffee for two years...
    Aspen Ridge, your dear Mother's final station before departure to heaven—in your arms.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deeply personal and, I imagine, cathartic to write.
    We need our memories, good, bad or sad.
    This was an apt mixture. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good day was mother out of bed. Such memories, good and bad. I love your last line. It's as if everything hinged on mother being there. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So upbeat that I skipped along too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finding goofy smiles in emotional times of life is a beautiful gift to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very heartfelt poem. Such a great description of life slowly fading. Such sad sweet memories of your time with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A heartfelt and moving poem. Must be a special time and place for you with so many loving memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this snapshot into your life! Such a heartwarming tale you tell, Helen! From the coffee burning your mouth to your mother's morning chair exercise class with the quasi tap routine - this had me grinning! 🤩 I love the detail about them not being allowed to stand up, I totally relate to that myself some days! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice one. Do hope you get that coffee temperature right. Makes a lot of difference

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful memory captured in a heartwarming and moving poem! You seem to have made the best from this time with your mom, and even conserved it in a great poem now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful memory, Helen. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this, Helen. I am lucky enough to have mom and dad in their own cottage on the property where my family lives.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So poignant, Helen! I hope you had more good days than bad when visiting your mother there. Those memories are special, even the bad ones.
    I used to enjoy going to chair exercise with my mom--I stood up. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adi and I, the "Pet therapy pair", would visit the Alzheimer's wing of our local assisted living facility. The residents loved her, she loved them, and I was shaperone. I could plan on hearing the story of the residents and their dogs, some would tell where the dog was kept now, others that she is here but she doesn't get to see it. Those are the biggies.
    https://jimmiehov.blogspot.com/2008/09/adi-can-be-working-dog-jims-little.html
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  17. You captured some beautiful memories in a heartfelt and poignant write, Helen.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.