Tuesday, November 4, 2025

Craftsmanship

 Time for Poetics in the dVerse Poets Pub ~  Lisa is tending bar and asks we focus on craftsmanship ~ the quality of being well-crafted or well-built.

Lori Crawford Arnold ~ Photographer 


I have watched the sea
craft a shard of bottle
into something soft enough
to cradle in my palm 
years of patience
a quiet apprenticeship in grace

Forests do the same
each fallen limb reshaped
by moss and time until
even decay feels deliberate 

I learn from them
how to let making endure
how to trust the weathering
 how to become a craft
of my own making 







13 comments:

  1. Helen, I love how you look to nature to lead the way and how you have applied it to your own fashioning of yourself <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. A craft of my own making - wonderful as we are all unique pieces of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, Helen. I love how you set this up to come back to your own self being crafted with time, which is exactly what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sea glass, anything sea-crafted one can find on a beach, and I love how you moved from the wideness of the sea to the closer hug of the forest, and into yourself in this stunning poem, Helen. It takes time to weather and Nature is patient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In our youth, have sharp edges. As we age, we do soften, and if we're introspective enough, we become more polished. Lovely, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exquisite write!
    Happy you dropped by my blog

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is grace and beauty in your poem. I like the parallels you made between the act of nature crafting things and crafting you, on the one hand, and you learning and submitting to nature's action while doing things your way, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great insight into the development of self and self-acceptance, Helen, yet it is hard to see ourselves from within - somebody put in a comment on one of mine "in your inimitable voice" but what is that? Well I pass on the compliment, for you definitely have one too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sage outlook and perspective in the final lines here, Helen. Stunning write ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you describe the nature as a craftsman transforming things we love

    ReplyDelete
  11. A poem that's soft with wisdom earned by "a quiet apprenticeship in grace" -- Beautiful, Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. “even decay feels deliberate” something to keep in mind as I age.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.