Tuesday, September 22, 2026

My Journey With Mother

 Time for Poetics in the dVerse Poets Pub ~ Bjorn is hosting and requests our poems reflect a journey we've taken ~ how it impacted us


Within these words her spirit thrives 

a love that time indeed survives

I retrace the countless steps

the overwhelming need

to remember our long dance 

~ to reflect, to feel, to see ~

the journey long through shadowed halls

where memories dim, where silence calls

where I held her in the crook of my arm

solo witness as life force ebbed

shallow breaths, tiny sips of air

in a deep sleep, the time had come

I spoke softly, trusting she might hear

find comfort in my voice 

one tear escaped the corner of her eye

instinctively I touched it, lifted it to my face

blended it with my own 

~ our journey ended ~ 






15 comments:

  1. Mom, this touches my heart so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom, too, shed a tear with her last breath. Maybe it's common but it also feels quite poetic. Lovely write Helen 👏

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful moment and relationship captured in your words - so very tender and real - Jae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tears brimming from my eyes this morning after reading this. I was "gifted" (and I truly mean that) to stand beside my mother as she lie in a hospital bed taking her last breaths. She brought me in to this world, and I was able to be with her when she left this world. All the memories of those moments are flooding back to me after reading your beautiful poem. For me, at the end, I was holding her hand, leaning down, whispering in her ear, "Do you see daddy, mom? Chuckie? I'm sure there's a light there. They'll be so glad to see you. It's okay mom. Thank you. Thank you for everything." and she was gone. (Chuckie was my brother, 9 nears older than me. He died of a cardiac arrest at the age of 51). Thank you for this poem, Helen. Beautifully writ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so touching and it is the end that every journey brings, may it be as tender as this for as many as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful heartfelt poem, Helen. The most difficult journey we take seems to be our last one! You have shared this is such a touching and tender way! I too had to pause and reflect after reading this one! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Helen, for sharing your mother's journey and especially those special, sacred final moments...a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You write about a journey particular to you and your mother but you define it for all of us who have been there to let a loved one go - beautifully put, Helen...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, this touched and moved my heart, Helen. It's interesting to be the one held as our mother's bring us into the world, and to be the one holding as they leave ours--sacred, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helen, it was so good to see you at dVerse LIVE this morning. Learning about your journey with your mom makes the poem that much more meaningful. Being there with your mom at the end, and taking care of her for 5 years before says a lot about who you are as a human being.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poetry Postcard Group I was talking about. Barbara is the lady and her email addresss is rosablue722@gmail.com You can tell her I referred you to her if you decide to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. tSo very moving, Helen. Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for sharing this journey, 💙 None of us could be with my mom when she died, since everywhere was locked down, and it still troubles me. My sisters and I were with my dad though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The tenderest of journeys, the last one, and oh, so precious to share! I didn't have that chance with my mother but I can imagine through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So touching, so tender and so beautiful, Helen. This moved me to tears. ❤️

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.