Saturday, September 19, 2026

Five Thousand Miles and Counting

We are gathered in the dVerse Poets Pub this evening to share poems we wrote in response to a challenge from Laura who asks us to write about 'leaving home' and the four directions we might head from there. 



do i or don't i
should i or shouldn't i
will i or won't i 
hitch a ride
run away from home

north takes me where
the winds blow cold
snows run knee-deep
but they say hearts are warm
and doors open wide for strangers

east is way cool - where things happen
museums, a deli on every corner 
broadway, ballet, opera ~
but they say it's very crowded
and folks pass without smiling

south is lush and warm
beaches made for walking, shell hunting
theme parks and walt's friends
but oh the endless humidity
and the ever-present annoying snowbirds

west must be best
this van is headed that direction
look, there's a photo of me plastered 
on the side - must be a sign, an omen
westward ho, away i go



 

 

10 comments:

  1. I love living in the West, as Jim Morrison said, "The West is the Best." Loved your poem, Helen! Well done! 💜

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your consideration of running away, Helen, And your choice of direction seems to have served you well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The journey of travelling west... it is an american story I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea. I sometimes wonder where I would go if I changed locations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this...all the images and the shape of the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comment is from my side...it came as anonymous.

      Delete
  6. west must be the best

    Go west young Man! Heard that before during Hank's teenage years! And you've said it again here! The West has its own pull. Wonderful lines Helen!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  7. West is the best! So glad we share this adventure together! I love you! Your Bethy Boo Boo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Helen, love this! This is quintessentially Helenesque! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun and delightful poem Helen. I like that you could tell where each direction is pointing. Though north for me, not west.😁

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.