Monday, February 19, 2024

Touch

De Jackson hosts Quadrille Monday in the dVerse Poets Pub! We are to use the word "touch" in our poems.

My Mother and her friend Arthur ~ 2003



a memory care facility
any-town, any-city
two souls seeking one another
their memories imprisoned
in a place so remote
recovery feels hopeless
the past irretrievable.

still, impulse / instinct remain
the longing for touch
hands holding hands
lips meeting lips
the feel of another's body.


 







18 comments:

  1. Dearest Helen,
    Such a lovely poem about a grim reality as memory is being snuffed out like a candle's flame... No escape!
    Holding hands is lovely.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. There is sweet hope in this.

    de

    ReplyDelete
  3. touch retrieves so much (often but not always)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Adi, you know her I think, my Beagle dog, and I were a registered pet therapy pair. Adi loved visiting the Memory care residents in our local assisted living facility. The folk would tell us about the dog they have and all about its keeper now, or a dog that they "used to have." She knew when we were approaching on the Interstate and would get all exited.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious and tender, the two were blessed with warm touch at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel this strongly. The touch of another person, can be the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helen,

    This is such a poignant portrayal of human connection transcending the confines of memory loss. I love how you highlight the enduring power of touch and intimacy!

    Much love,
    David
    SkepticsKaddish.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Helen, this is so touching and made me think of my mother who, in her dementia, was so alone but, I’m certain, missed the touch of another human being nonetheless. I’m in tears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love such a life... touch is always important, and maybe even more so at old age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How lovely to have another hand to touch. I love this, Helen. And the photo too. Xoxo, Selma

    ReplyDelete
  11. The human touch is both welcome and necessary any way and any where we find it. Poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! This is so poignant and true, Helen. People may not be able to remember, but they can still appreciate a kind or loving touch. All the feelings. 💙

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes.....as memories escape and recognition fades, touch communication remains the strongest of connections. A beautiful and poignant poem.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful way to healing the aging process. Holding hands can say i care.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog

    Much♡love

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so endearing, Helen. We are never too old for touching and feeling the closeness of another!

    ReplyDelete
  16. O this brought a tear. My mother is entering this moment. I know mine will come. But yet there is something in the midst of it all, there is touch.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.