Thursday, April 23, 2026

Downcast, Not Broken

Time for Poetics in the dVerse Poets Pub .. Melissa has us focused on the art of  Gerard Sekoto, born in 1913 in South Africa .. our challenge .. compose an ekphrastic poem!

Woman With Downcast Eyes, 1955


I carry the morning on my shoulders 

heavy as the tin roof trembling in the wind

some days the dust calls me by name

coating my skin

settling in my breath


how much of this world

am I willing to swallow?


I walk with eyes lowered

not in shame but in study

I have learned to stitch hope

from the smallest of threads

a child's laughter, the blooming jacaranda


Let them say the world is unkind

let them say the load is too much

I will carry it anyway

step by step

breath by breath








5 comments:

  1. learning to stitch hope from the smallest of threads is hte greatest of all lessons. - Love the poem

    ReplyDelete
  2. A moving ekphrastic, Helen. You've added a dimension of character to the portrait that's as revealing as the artist's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the jacaranda tree when it blooms it lights the whole world... loved your shining hope

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Some days the dust calls me by name" - Wonderful, Helen!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.