Wednesday, June 10, 2026

This Would Be Me

 Melissa is hosting Poetics in the dVerse Poets Pub ~ our poetic challenge ~ the ‘unpunctuated’ poem.



while others dive 
beneath blankets
counting seconds between 
flash and boom
i fling open 
the curtains
hostess with the 
mostest
thunder arrives wearing 
muddy boots
lightning shows off like 
my cocky cousin at a reunion
and i sit there grinning
the neighborhood oddity 
with weather in her heart
it's called ceraunophilia
which sounds suspiciously 
like a tropical disease
but it simply means
when the sky throws 
a tantrum
i feel strangely at home
in my element




6 comments:

  1. How I love this, Helen! This is definitely you in your element! Learnt a new word too! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! "when the sky throws a tantrum" love that way of putting it! I loved thunderstorms as kid. I don't hate them now, but here in AZ I tend to worry about people out in them if they are part of a monsoon. Fun poem, Helen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the phrase " shows off like my cocky cousin at a reunion".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sky tantrums! Wow ... I didn't know there was a name for this! I might be halfway there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You taught me a new word, Helen. I can just see you flinging those curtains open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a nostalgia for Australian storms. They were wildly magical. You've captured that spirit very well here Helen 👏

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.