Friday, August 21, 2026

A Cross-stitch In Time

Time for Meeting The Bar in the dVerse Poets Pub ~ Laura is host and asks us to write poems using compounded forms of a word we choose. I chose the word "cross".





Seated at my Grandmother's feet
laughing hard not missing a beat
[the cross-stitch]

The pattern she chose is complex
now Grammy is needing her specks
[fingers crossed]

Grammy claims it's very easy
counting stitches easy peasy
[cause cross-eye]

How many colors must she choose
too many shades simply confuse
[try cross-hatch]

It's one tiny stitch at a time
there's no way to make this line rhyme
[been cross-checked] 





14 comments:

  1. When we lived in Ireland, I started a company making needlepoint tapestry rather than counted cross-stitch but this delightful glimpse into an intimate cross-generational moment, resonates nonetheless, Helen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to do counted cross-stitch. My eyes wouldn't be able to do it now, even with "specks." I supposed for young eyes it is "easy," at least easier than some forms of needlework. Cute poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the poem very playful and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. written with such a light touch that evidently cross stitch with Grandmother was fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Helen. My grandma was so important to me. I was terrible at sewing, almost gave my Home Ec teacher a nervous breakdown, but I sure learned a lot at her knee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How whimsy the fun is here. I love the cross checking at the end. Brings it full circle. Wow, Helen. Love reading this. I’ll read it again… xo, Selma Martin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just had to return to tell you Helen: it was easy getting here today. Wordpress is cooperating today. I love it. It wasn’t this way before. Sorry about the many times I couldn’t read and leave a comment. Bless you. Xo, Selma

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful poem;
    it connects you to the past and to your grandmother...
    I used to do a lot of embroidery as a child!
    Back then, embroidered cushions and embroidered pictures were very much in vogue... eventually, they went out of style, and you don't see them in homes anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, this is lovely, built stitch by stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your choice of word. Very entertaining piece!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, and it made me think of those cross-stitched signs we used to put on the wall....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helen, I like how you stitched this together. I have made several cross-stitch projects. Most have been given away. Now that I have "specks" I might try to do another one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is lovely, full of humor, and good memories. You captured a special time of being and learning with your grandma.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.