Thursday, August 27, 2026

Magic

Time for Open Link Night in the dVerse Poets Pub ~ Grace is our host. I was intrigued with the line Dora chose for Prosery in the Pub from the Stanley Kunitz' poem 'King of the River' ~ I have had a life-long love affair with trains ~ the whistles ~ the magic. 

and the iridescent image swims through a mirror that flows.”

~ Tracks in our neighborhood ~


long ~ long ~ short ~ long 

chords that drift behind

pulling the anchor of my mind

the melancholy strain

the grief of a whistling train

morning's whistle calls me from the deep

breaks the fragile tapestry of sleep

B Major 6th chord [ D#4, F#4, G#4, B4, D#5 ]

my day begins with a softened gleam

searching the edges of my dream

and the iridescent image swims 

through a mirror that flows








7 comments:

  1. There is music in your words here, Helen. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. "the melancholy strain
    the grief of a whistling train"

    Such distraught emotions

    Much love

    ReplyDelete
  3. Written as a poet who knows where she is going <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. The grief of a whistling train. Had never thought about how melancholy they are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing like it - the grief of a whistling train. Love the music of the whistle calls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heard it as I read... Well done

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live a block from the tracks and wake up to those horns most mornings...I am definitely feeling this poem today...well done! 🩷

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.