Time for a 44-word Quadrille in the dVerse poets Pub ~ WhimsyGizmo [ aka De ] is hosting ] The magic word today is JUMP or some form of the word jump.
problem is
they suck kids in
with tantalizing images of
bad boys
naughty girls
cigs dangling
from pouty moistened lips
~ come on, kids ~
jump on board the bandwagon
cigs for a boost
cigs to lose weight
cigs to look cool
~ teach your children well ~

I think kids were smarter back when cigarette ads were on television. I loved the Marlboro Man, he rode a horse! I didn't care about cigarettes, it was the cowboy I liked! It would have been easy to buy too in their vending machines. Lucky Strike claimed it would curb smoker's appetites. My brother thought he looked cool as a young teen smoking. My father took me down to the bowling alley to find him one day, and there he was, smoking, looking into a mirror to see how cool he was! Yuck... I can't take the smell at all.
ReplyDeleteThankful we know what we know, now. And it's become so less common in movies and TV that I'm always a little surprised and shocked when someone is smoking.
ReplyDeleteI love this visual:
"cigs dangling
from pouty moistened lips"
De
Amazing how easily we get sucked into their web!
ReplyDeleteGood message there Helen. I gave up smoking so long ago. It makes me feel sick to smell it on anyone now.
ReplyDeleteI remember those days well. I also remember the PSA commercial where the little kid was following his dad around and mimicking him. They were washing a car and then the dad pulled out a cigarette. The commercial ended with the boy looking at his father.
ReplyDeleteYup...Hooked me.
ReplyDeleteNever got hooked... probably the news of how bad it was reached me before I was lured
ReplyDeleteIt's so true! Every 80s or 90s film as I was growing up had some character smoking in it, so often the heroine/hero. I'd say it's the "herb" that sucks them in! Your message is spot on.
ReplyDeleteI grew up with all the cigarette advertising. It's so strange to think about it now. Clever poem.
ReplyDeleteGreat message neatly written - Jae
ReplyDelete