Saturday, August 20, 2022

Sage Advice From an Old Sage!



Light up that cig

toss back a shot

swallow the pill

[ worst of the lot ]


tennis till dawn

softball in rain

startin' to think

[ you don't have a brain ]


everyone does it

really you say

I know you're wrong 

[ the piper you’ll pay ]


time to grow up

sensible / smart

you'll live much longer

[ I love that part ]




19 comments:

  1. Poor guy, I hope he lives much much longer.
    The photo, I place him in an eastern European atmosphere.
    I also like the form with the first-person commentary after each verse.
    He needs a drinking friend?
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. "softball in rain" really appeals to the imagination - a clever rhyme scheme Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poem, good rhyming, adequate picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Helen,
    The title is perfect and it made me think of a huge board we read at a Wyoming Rest Place about 'Mama Sage'—7th image: https://mariettesbacktobasics.blogspot.com/2022/08/from-jenny-lake-lodge-wyoming-to-hyatt.html
    The LAST verse is the best!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the things people do! I love the living longer part too Helen! This is wise and a whole lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, I like the rhythm in this and the bracketed thoughts at the end of the stanzas. Your voice is strong and clear in this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eat right, exercise regularly, die anyway! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  8. This would-be old sage really appreciates the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way this echoes that sort-of smile on his face. Go ahead, see what happens. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could barely get beyond his 'smirk.' LOL Which caused the fluff of poetry.

      Delete
  10. hi there helen, so good to read you again. very sage advise indeed, i'll start working on that... tomorrow. =) enjoyed this very much helen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. With all those hobbies, and no discipline, it will do him more harm than good

    ReplyDelete
  12. Luv the use of rhyme in your poem Helen.
    Thanks for dropping by to read mine

    Much💖love

    ReplyDelete
  13. Helen Ma'am, classic picture portrayal of the elderly lost in their own thoughts and undoing giving excuses to cover up their idiosyncrasies - great observation! Thank you so much for coming in to Hank's blog and apologies for not responding to a number of them. Will faithfully follow you forthwith. Best wishes Ma'am, have a nice day!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  14. Made me ask the question, what is better, a long life absent frivolity and joyful excess, or a shorter life lived fuller? I have never been personally able to effectively consider the quandary, having no experience with the initial option. Liked this Helen… 🙂✌🏼❤️

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh if we could just learn from those who have crossed so many bridges and gone so many directions.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the jaunty nature of this poem! The effortless rhyme buoyed it along :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hard to learn from sages when young. Good one, Helen!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate each of you and the comments you leave ~~ thanks so much.